GRISWOLD — The man convicted of killing another man and his parents over a drug-for-gun deal gone wrong is asking for an appeal, his attorney has said.

Sergio Correa and his sister were found guilty of repeatedly stabbing 21-year-old Matthew Lundquist and then beating the man’s parents to death with a baseball bat in 2017 during a violent home invasion in Griswold, according to court records and published reports.

Correa was sentenced in May to life without the possibility of parole plus 105 years in prison.

Jennifer Smith, his attorney with the state’s chief public defender’s appeals unit, will seek to challenge several aspects of the trial after reviewing tons of transcripts, she said. Claims will only be determined after reviewing the entire file, she said.

“There are numerous claims to be considered, including with jury instructions, improper prosecution and there is a cellphone deletion issue,” Smith said.

There are 150 transcripts associated with the trial that must be produced by court reporters and then reviewed by Smith.

Testimony from his 16-day trial in 2021 revealed that Correa and his sister Ruth traveled from Hartford to Griswold where they ‘brutally’ killed Lundquist and his parents Kenneth and Janet by beating and stabbing them, then setting fire to their home after stealing items, New London State’s Attorney Paul Narducci said after the jury returned a guilty verdict on December 14, 2021.

Correa and his sister allegedly committed the crimes after Matthew Lundquist walked out of a deal to help steal his father’s guns in exchange for heroin, according to The Associated Press.

Correa is seeking an appeal and the possibility of a new trial on several claims, including that items may have been improperly seized without probable cause and that his statements to police and some evidence may not have been admissible in court.

As part of the appeal, Smith wants a dozen sealed documents, including mental health, records from the State Department of Children and Families and the State Department of Correction and a motion to dismiss the charges. filed in 2020, according to court documents.

Matthew Lindquist has made a deal with Sergio Correa to trade his parents’ guns for drugs and cash, police say. But when Matthew Lindquist backed out of the deal, Correa and his sister chased him into the woods, police said. Correa then struck him with a machete, police said. The brother and sister then stabbed and slashed him more than 60 times, police said.

The Correas then drove to the Lindquist home, where Correa beat Kenneth Lindquist to death with a baseball bat, prosecutors said. Correa then attacked Janet Lindquist with the bat and strangled her, prosecutors said.

The Correas recovered valuables from the house, including cash, jewelry and even Christmas gifts from the family, and set the house on fire as they fled, police said.

Ruth Correa pleaded guilty to multiple counts and was sentenced to 40 years in prison hours after her brother’s life sentence.

Smith assisted the original team with its defense at trial. She said she was ready to move the appeal forward after reviewing the transcripts and all documents associated with the case, a process that could take months or even years.

“I look forward to defending Sergio, answering his call and continuing his defence,” Smith said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.